Shopping for Car Insurance in Kentucky? Five Things You Should Know from KY Car Accident Attorneys
Written by Cooper & Friedman on August 19, 2016
Regardless of where you live, every state in the U.S. requires drivers to purchase car insurance. While the type of coverage may vary state-to-state, this initiative, which started in its most simple form back in 1927, is focused on reducing the number of uninsured drivers across the country. As Louisville car accident attorneys practicing throughout the state of Kentucky, the attorneys at Cooper and Friedman PLLC closely follow Kentucky car insurance requirements.
In the state of Kentucky, every registered driver must have two types of liability insurance: bodily injury liability insurance and property damage liability insurance. These two types of coverage assist with costs related to injuries, fatalities and damages caused by the insurance holder in the event of a car accident.
Kentucky car insurance requirements are based on an auto insurance policy with limits of at least 25/50/10. This means that every driver’s insurance must include the following:
- Liability coverage
- $25,000 of bodily injury to another person coverage
- $50,000 of bodily injuries to all other persons coverage, and
- $10,000 of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.
There is also the option to purchase one single limit policy of at least $60,000 to cover all of these minimums.
Buying good car insurance is essential whether you live in Kentucky or in some other state. It’s important to take the time to understand your coverage so that you are prepared to select the best plan for your needs.
As car accident attorneys, we see the benefits of having good car insurance coverage every single day. No one ever really anticipates being the victim of a car accident. But the fact is that car accidents are very common. And when you’re in one, good car insurance offers far more than peace of mind. Follow along for some helpful tips when you’re shopping for car insurance.
5 Helpful Tips if You Are Shopping for Car Insurance in Kentucky
- There are Discounts Out There: Just like at the mall and grocery store, there are discounts available when you are shopping for car insurance coverage. You have to make sure that you are finding the right deals for the coverage that you need. Shopping around through different companies will help you make a good educated decision. And although it may be time consuming, it could help you save a lot in the long run.
- Combining Policies Can Save You Money: Consider combining different types of insurance policies like renter’s insurance or home insurance coverage with your auto. Choose a company that is able to help with both types of insurance and it could save you up to 15% on your annual premiums. Just make sure that you are still receiving the amount of coverage that you want for both your auto and home.
- Cheaper Insurance Sometimes Means Less Coverage: “Caveat Emptor” or buyer be where when it comes to finding cheap auto insurance. Depending on your state, some of these low insurance costs may not meet your state’s coverage minimums. Do your research and make sure that you have everything covered before investing in any type of car insurance.
- Check Your Math: For those paying monthly insurance installments, it may be easier and less expensive to pay in one lump sum each year or twice a year. Check your math and make sure that you’re not being charged more for installment payments. This could add up and become a waste of money, especially for those on a tight budget.
- Ask Around: Shop around, compare, do your research and ask trusted friends and family for car insurance recommendations. Take your time to find the best type of coverage for your budget. The last thing you want to do is to get caught in a binding contract that doesn’t even meet all of the state’s auto insurance requirements.
Don’t let shopping for car insurance overwhelm you. Make sure to educate yourself about your state’s coverage requirements and stay skeptical of prices that seem “too good to be true.”
Contact Experienced Car Accident Attorneys If You Need Help
And if you are ever the unfortunate victim of a car crash, make sure to get the assistance of experienced car accident attorneys. This will make navigating all aspects of your case, including your car accident coverage, much easier.
The car accident attorneys at Cooper and Friedman PLLC have been fighting for the rights of car accident victims in Kentucky and Indiana since 1991. And we’ve successfully recovered millions for the victims we’ve represented. For more information, or to talk to a car accident lawyer about your case, give us a call at 502-459-7555. We offer free case consultations and no fees unless we win.